Suddenly Dance Theatre
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Fountain of Youth Program
Suddenly Dance Theatre's Fountain of Youth Program aims to support dance artists under the age of 26 to build new and diverse choreographic voices.
Our application is simple and not lengthy, though all applicants must provide a video link of their work as a choreographer or dance creator. Applicants must be self-disciplined, passionate about the art of choreography, and define themselves as an emerging dance artist.
The 2022 Fountain of Youth recipient will receive the following to support their independent creative work:
- A monthly stipend of $300 for 4 months;
- 60 hours of rehearsal space courtesy of Dance Victoria;
- Mentorship provided by Educator/Choreographer Kathy Lang of Victoria's Seda Dance
- Outside-eye and administrative support by Artistic co-Director David Ferguson.
- An opportunity to present the resulting work in front of a LIVE audience with a paid Performance Fee (TBD depending on the nature of the event and the number of participants).
- There is no application fee to apply.
- The deadline is March 15th at midnight.
- This program aims to support contemporary dance expression.
- This Program is open to all dance artists under the age of 26 (at the time of application) who live in the Capital Regional District (CRD) including the Southern Gulf Islands. We encourage applications from emerging dance artists who identify as BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Colour) and/or LGBTQ2S+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Trans, Queer, Two-Spirit, gender-nonconforming, plus) and/or who experience disability.
- The recipient will be posted on our website and on social media on March 31, 2022.
- The in-studio residency is intended to take place between April 1, 2022 to July 31, 2022. Rehearsal hours must be booked via Dance Victoria.
- The recipient and their collaborators must adhere to Dance Victoria Studios health protocols and codes of conduct.
- All applicants will be added to our database with an option to unsubscribe at any time.
In 2020/2021, we were delighted to support newcomer to Canada, 21 year-old Brazilian dancer VITOR FREITAS.
Read more about Vitor Freitas here.
In 2020 our Fountain of Youth Program was recharged with the support of the CRD Arts Development, the Victoria Foundation; and program donors Mauricio A. Garcia Barrera, Samuel Binette, Ken Flett, Janine Hannis, and Carolina Stratievsky. With your help, our aim is to increase the number of program recipients.